A museum dedicated to the history of how care for people with learning disabilities has changed over the years is set to open in Teddington.
The Langdon Down Museum of learning disability will officially open on Saturday, January 28, in Langdon Park, the former home of Dr John Langdon Down.
Museum archivist Ian Jones-Healey said: “For many years the former Normansfield hospital building in Teddington has been closed apart from audiences visiting the theatre and by special invitation.
“As it has long been our wish to let the public view the collections we will now be open at regular times from January 28.
“The museum is now part of a specialist group of London museums of health and medicine focusing on the care of the vulnerable since Victorian times.
“As well as telling the story of Dr John Langdon Down, Normansfield and the history of learning disability, the museum contains objects from the Royal Earlswood Asylum and artefacts made by James Henry Pullen.”
The museum will tell the story Dr Langdon and his family’s revolutionary and enlightened approach to the care of people with learning disabilities from 1868 until 1970 as well as giving a history of Normansfield theatre.
The museum also encourages the donation of Normansfield memorabilia and will be starting an oral history project this year as well as creating a library specialising in learning disability as well as helping enlighten public understanding of learning disability through events and educational activities in coming months.
Opening hours at the museum will be Mondays, 2pm to 5pm, and Saturdays, 9.30am to 1.30pm.
Donations of objects and materials relating to Normansfield would be welcomed by the museum.
For details, contact archivist Ian Jones-Healey on 020 8614 5100 or at
email firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit langdondownmuseum.org.uk.