There are lots of clubs, places and opportunities for our children & young adults with Down Syndrome in our area, mainstream as well as differentiated.
Here is a list of some of the exciting things you could get involved in, please check with the service providers that all details are up to date, click the bold type to be redirected to their websites, and if you have anything we should add please let us know!!
Also don’t forget that HDSSG organise social & sporting opportunities throughout the year and would love to see you! You can find out what’s on here – MEMBERS EVENTS.
Sensory Friendly cinema at the Odeon Huddersfield – a latest release every month!
Flame Club - Every Saturday from 12 – 2pm at the Deighton Sports Arena, Huddersfield. A free sports club for children with disabilities aged 14+
The Up Club - Shabang offer a weekly drama club for children with Down Syndrome aged 8+ every Monday at the Watershed, Slaithwaite.
- Swimming sessions for children with additional needs Every Saturday at the John Smith’s Stadium, Huddersfield. Classes run for several age groups. Please contact the stadium for more info.
Pontefract Pirates Pontefract Collieries Football Ground, Pontefract. Every Sunday from 11am – 12 join the Ponte Pirates for organised football for children with learning difficulties. Expert coaching provided and new members always welcome. Click the link above to visit their website!
- The Lawrence Batley Theatre, Queen’s Square, Queen Street, Huddersfield. For exciting and awe inspiring theatre for all ages.
- Dark Horse Theatre Huddersfield. Youth Theatre for children & young adults with learning disabilities
- Ponderosa Rural Therapeutic Centre Heckmondwike. Ponderosa is open to everyone of all ages who can come to the centre and engage in a variety of interesting and stimulating activities.
- Eureka! Children’s museum Halifax Everything at Eureka! has been designed to inspire children to find out about themselves and the world around them through 100s of hands-on exhibits. They also have a ‘Helping Hands’ service. Look our for one of our members in the ‘digestion section’!
- Bouncers - off Huddersfield Road, Diggle. The ultimate play and exercise centre for your children with over 4500 sq. ft of fantastic play equipment. Huge trampolines, gigantic bouncy slides, gymnastic play equipment, Little Tykes play corner, swings, trapeze bars, climbing walls, and much more.
- Safe Anchor Trust – Mirfield. A registered charity providing boat trips particularly to disadvantaged people in Kirklees. Follow them on Twitter!
- Riding For The Disabled – Emley Moor. Open to people with disabilities either physical or mental and can be taken individually or in groups. Generally open from April to September. Please ring for details. Contact: Mrs P Hampshire, Factory Farm, Factory Lane, Emley Moor, Huddesfield, HD8 9TE. Tel: 01924 848219
- Adapted Cycling! – Spenborough Sports Complex – Liversedge. Every Saturday from 1 till 3pm. The adapted bikes are suitable for ages 8 and up, but younger members are invited to bring along their own bikes to have a go at cycling around their facilities! Cost is £2.50 per child. To book your place please ring 01274 355140.
- 7th Huddersfield Clayton West Scouts Invite all abilities to join in their youth activities. Beavers 5.5 – 9 yrs, Cubs 8 – 10.5 yrs, Scouts 10.5 – 14yrs and Explorers 14 – 18 yrs. If special needs assistance is required they will do their best to meet that need by seeking volunteers and or funding to enable inclusion. Contact Ewan Scott on 01484 864520 or see their website for more details.
- Bernadette Heys School of Theatre Dance Marsden. Bernadette Heys School of Theatre Dance has been a well established school for over 35 years. With a dedicated team of staff each student is taught to the best of their ability. Classes are available for children from 2+ in ballet, tap, jazz, theatre craft & freestyle. We also offer adult classes in ballet, tap & pilates. Currently we have a new street dance class for children aged 7-11 & 11-15. Call 07714 344886 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Organised Chaos – The Old Working Mens Club, Birkby Lane, Bailiff Bridge, HD6 4EN. Provide open access activities that include sports, games, arts & crafts, adventurous activities, bushcraft and wild natural play. They also offer outdoor based training for young people and adults. They can cater for children of all ages but open access sessions are intended for children aged 8 years to 12 years. They offer and inclusive service but some activities may require one on one support for the child, they will meet with children and parents to overcome these barriers. Contact Charlotte Rayner on 01484 321123 or email: email@example.com
- WACKY (Wild Activities Challenging Kirklees Young People) A fun packed summer programme of activities for young people with disabilities aged 13 to 25 years old. Ten different activities to choose from each day. Circus Skills, Canoeing, X Factor, Pottery, Archery, DJ Workshops, Bike Ability Project, Dance, Rock Climbing, Canal Boat Trip, Bush Craft, Wacky World Cup, Theatre Dance, Glee Club, Martial Arts, Flat Green Bowling, Basketball, Arts & Crafts, Fun With Food, Health & Beauty, Bouldering, Recycled Fashion, Pond Dipping, Camp Fire, Face Painting, Photography, Very Silly Olympics & loads more!
Takes place annually during July and August, Tuesday to Fridays 10.30am to 3.30pm at The Marina Project, Shepley Bridge Marina, Mirfield WF14 9HR.
*Booking is essential*
Contact: Mrs Denise Bedford on 01484 222374 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Special Olympics North kirklees Gymnastics Club – Batley Baths, Cambridge Street, Batley, WF17 5JH. A gym club which meets every Tuesday in term time from 6.30pm to 9pm. Children with special needs aged 5 years and over are welcome to join at a cost of £2.50 a week. The children are supported by coaches and helpers (it is a voluntary group – new volunteers always welcome). All members are registered with the British Disabled Gymnastics Association. For a members pack please phone 07801 101998 or email email@example.com
- U- Turn – Quarry Hill Centre, Almondbury. U- Turn is a youth club for young adults with additional needs age 14 and over. It takes place every Tuesday evening and hosts a variety of activities from cooking to Dj-ing plus lots more! To find out more please e mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 07980692766
- SNAP Club (Special Needs At the Phoenix) – Holmfirth. Meetings on Thursday evenings from 7pm to 9pm. at Phoenix Centre, Dunford Road, Holmfirth. For all ages of special needs along with their siblings to participate in various activities, e.g. drama workshops, dancing, football, games, etc. They have been active as the registered charity – S.N.A.P CLUB – for more than 10 yrs. Since being able to rent the Phoenix Centre on Thursday nights, they have gone from strength to strength. Their membership is stable at 30 at the moment. We provide social activities at the Centre and also theatre trips and days out occasionally. We have gone on residential trips every couple of years. They fundraise constantly to provide these activities. For more information please Email: email@example.com