Transfer of statements of special educational needs to EHC plans

What are the changes? 

From 1st September 2014 Statements of Special Educational Needs (SEN) will be transferring to Education Health and Care (EHC) plans. These transfers to EHC plans will be a phased process over four years.

EHC plans involve a more coordinated approach to assessment for Children and young people aged 0-25. These changes are happening as part of the Children and Families Act 2014.

When will my child transfer to an EHC plan?

Existing statements of SEN will gradually transfer over the EHC plans over the next 4 years and by April 2018. Kirklees Council have drawn up a plan to manage this process, this can be found HERE.

In line with government requirements Kirklees Council are prioritising the transfer for certain year groups in each year of the transfer process. For 2014/15 they are transferring children in year 11, year 5 and from January 2015 year 9.


Two weeks before the transfer process starts you will receive a formal notice letter from the local authority to notify you that the process is about to begin for your child.

What is the process for transfer?

The transfer process is a 14 week process that incorporates an EHC assessment. And should look like this:


The Transfer Review Meeting.

What is the transfer review meeting?

The transfer review meeting provides the opportunity for you and your child to meet with the local authority, the school and all professionals involved, to work together to understand you and your child’s aspirations during school years and in to adult life and to develop outcomes for inclusion in the EHC plan. The meeting will also identify what needs to be put in place whilst at school/college to support your child to achieve those outcomes.

The transfer review will be held in place of of your child’s SEN annual review of their statement.

What do I need to do before the meeting?

In preparation for the transfer review, the school will complete ‘Section A’ of an EHC plan with you and your child. They will then include this in the school report.

Section A of an EHC plan reflects you and your child’s views, interests and aspirationsand will form the starting point for the development of an EHC plan.

If you wish to discuss your views with an independent person, as opposed to someone at your school, you can choose to access an Independent Supporter who can provide you and your child with time limited help to support you during the EHC needs assessment and transfer review process. Independent support in Kirklees will be provided via the Kirklees Information, Advice and Support Service ( You will be contacted prior to the start of the transfer review process to see if you would like to access this support.