New country wide advice service for SEN launched

SEN National Advice Service

Supporting families to resolve education issues for children with additional needs

Contact a Family has launched the only country-wide advice service for Special Educational Needs (SEN) – The SEN National Advice Service.

This service will help families whose child may have special educational needs – we will be able to provide advice and information on any aspect of their child’s education. Help is available through our helpline 0808 808 3555, or post a query on Facebook or Twitter  and a SEN adviser will get back to you. Alternatively drop us an email:

What are special educational needs?

A child has special educational needs if they have a disability or learning difficulty which makes it much harder for them to learn than other children of their age.

I’m not sure if my child has a special educational need: can you still help me?

Yes we can. Some children may need additional support with their learning, even if they do not have a disability or learning difficulty and some children may not yet be identified as having special educational needs. If you have concerns about your child’s education, or just need more information, please contact us.

What can you give advice and information about?

The SEN process –  including:

  • Early years
  • School Action and School Action Plus
  • Individual Education Plans (IEP’s)
  • Statutory Assessment/ Statements
  • Annual Reviews
  • Transition planning and education after 16
  • Appeals

Other general education issues as they affect children with SEN, which include:

  • Transport to school
  • Bullying
  • Exclusion
  • Medical needs in school
  • Attendance at school
  • Home Education